Sunday, November 25, 2012

Regency Open Robe

I found this lovely woven in a striped purple linen/rayon blend at Joann's on clearance and I just had to get it. After waiting in a short line to get it cut or I should say measured, as there was only about 2.5 yards left! I was so glad that it was 60in. wide. I got matching thread and went home to decide what to make out of it:)
Since I haven't made an open robe in a long....time and I have been wanting to make something from my new Janet Arnold Pattern books, it became this new fabric's destiny:) I had to enlarge the pattern for the second time, since the original pattern is beyond a size 0, women were so tiny back then! It was a little tricky trying to get the pleating right so that it measured up with the lining. So I looked online to see how others were doing it and ended up just adjusting the pattern till it looked right.

 Of course after I finished this robe I discovered how the back pleats are suppose to go. The ones I had found online; though the robes were gorgeous the pleating isn't quite right on them either. O'well it turned out pretty well for the first time ever using this pattern. Now that I have a better idea of how everything goes together I plan to make my next one out of silk.